Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines Day ~ Chocolate Cream Caramels



I had originally planned on making a chocolate cake for Valentines Day, but Craig and I decided that having a whole cake just for the two of us wasn't the best idea. I decided to stick with something chocolate and make a recipe for Chocolate Cream Caramels that I had saved from my Joy-Of-Cooking-Calendar (thanks Mom&Dad Sipala).

Click Here for Printable Version

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup Sugar
¾ Cup light corn syrup
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ Cups cream

DIRECTIONS
- Bring sugar, corn syrup, chocolate, salt, and ½ cup cream to a boil over high heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the ingredients to the soft-ball stage, 234˚F, over moderate heat.
- Stir constantly. Add ½ Cup cream.
- Cook candy until it again reaches the soft-ball stage, 234˚F. Add the last ½ Cup cream.
- Cook to the firm-ball stage, 244˚F. Remove candy from heat and pour into an 8 x 8-inch buttered pan. Do not scrape pan. When candy is firm, about 3 hours later, invert onto a board and cut into squares.

Jenn's Notes:
- I used half & half instead of cream since thats what I had on hand.
- I wasn’t able to invert the block of caramel onto a board, so I just cut it in the pan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks like real candy!
How does it taste?

Jenn S. said...

It wasn't very chocolatey to me, but tasted like a nice caramel.