Friday, April 27, 2007

Grilled Butterflied Chicken

I'm proud to say that I make a mean roasted chicken, but tonight I decided to try my hand at GRILLING a whole chicken. Cleaver (and camera) in hand I decided to give it a try. I'm happy to say it was a great success... so successful that we were too busy EATING the chicken to take some pretty after photos. The chicken was extremely juicy and Craig praised the super crispy skin.

Click Here for Printable Instructions
(Not much of a recipe here, more of just a grilling technique.)

Prepare Chicken (3-4lb bird)
Place the chicken breast side down on a cutting board. Using a knife or poultry shears, cut along one side of the backbone and then down the other. Discard the backbone – remove ribs if desired.




Turn the chicken breast side up. Cut a small hole through the skin between the bottom point of the breast and the thigh. Push the tip of the leg through the hole. Repeat with the other leg.



Rub skin with olive oil and seasoning of your choice(here I used minced garlic, fresh thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and cayenne)



Grill Chicken
- Place the chicken, breast-side-up, on the grill. If you have more than one burner, turn off the burner directly below the chicken. Grill the chicken with the grill covered for 45 minutes.
- Check the grill temperature frequently to ensure that its temperature is staying around 350-400°
- Using tongs, carefully turn the chicken breast-side-down. Re-ignite the burner directly below the chicken (if turned off) and set it at its lowest level. Grill for another 15 minutes, until the breast skin is deeply browned and the internal temperature of the chicken is about 170°.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken looks wonderful...I'll bet it tasted even better! I'll have to try that whole flat chicken thing...looks really impressive.

Jenn S. said...

Originally we thought we would have to put a heavy pot or some bricks on top of it to flatten it out, but it didn't really seem necessary with this size bird.

Anonymous said...

We have a chicken place here called Ya Ya's (Greek for Grandma's), well, move over Grandma...that looks yummy

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

Barb in Tucson said...

I used your grilling technique for a 5-lb. chicken I marinated for 24 hours in a lemongrass marinade from "The Ultimate Low-Carb Diet Cookbook" by Donna Pliner Rodnitzky and it was amazing. So moist on the inside and crispy on the outside. YUM!!! The times specified in your grilling technique were right on! Love your blog!

alt0160 said...

I tried this grilling technique this afternoon. It worked out wonderfully. Very juicy meat, even the breast was moist.

Thanks!

Kareem said...

I can't wait to dig into this thing! I bought an organic chicken, which has so many feathers still on it (ick!) I had to skin the thing!

Total side note, I'm from Flint and have dreams about Ya-Ya's!