Thursday, September 27, 2007

Steak Lettuce Wrap with Thai Salsa

This week I picked up my first bag of goodies from the CSA at Five Leaves Farm in Blythewood.

For those who may not have heard of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), it's a way for the public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. Win Win!

Although I won't normally have time to drive all the way out to the farm, I took my lunch hour on Wednesday and took a trip into another world .... from the harsh research park where I work, to horses and pasture land - beautiful and quiet. Ben was kind enough to take the time to introduce himself and I felt so bad that I had to take my produce and run and not stay for a tour.

But on to the loot!

I was thrilled to see the beautiful asian greens. The only one I was sure about was the baby bok choy, but the others were hiroshimana, fong-san cabbage, and shirona (not shown in the photo below).



Of course I immediately though stir-fry, but as I rinsed them, I nibbled on a piece here and there and I just couldn't wilt them to nothing. But how could I get C to eat raw cabbage? With spicy steak of course!

Our invention of the week (I think it's a keeper)...

Steak Lettuce Wrap with Thai Salsa



Click Here for Printable Recipe

Steak:
1 pound sirloin steak
salt/pepper

Wraps:
Bok Choy, Bibb Lettuce
Whatever you’ve got!

Thai Salsa:
1 tomato, minced
¼ cup onion, minced
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 ½ teaspoon beef bouillon
¼ Cup boiling water


Prepare Salsa
o In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside

Grill Steak
o Preheat grill to medium-high
o Drizzle a bit of olive oil on each side of steak and sprinkle with
salt and pepper.
o Grill for 6-8 minutes per side or until desired doneness
o Remove to cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
o Cut steak into thin slices or strips -preferably against the grain

Prepare Filling & Make Wraps
o Drop steak strips into salsa and allow to marinate for a few minutes (or as long as you can wait). Use lettuce leaves as you would a tortilla.

Thanks Again Ben & Kristen!

Five Leaves Farm
Community Supported Agriculture
632 Kinsler Rd; Blythewood SC 29016
803.528.4481 info@fiveleavesfarm.com
http://www.fiveleavesfarm.com

3 comments:

Kevin Kossowan said...

Cook post! I need to visit some of my local producers more...

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmm.........

Anonymous said...

When we come to visit next time can we go to the farm?
I think some of our Navy wives have been reading your blog...I'll have to send you a pic.