Saturday, June 16, 2007
While wondering through the supermarket pondering side dishes to go with leg of lamb, I saw a pile of artichokes. Not the healthiest of vegetable dishes, but tasty nonetheless.
Click Here for Printable Version
½ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 T grated romano cheese
2 t garlic, minced
1 T onion, minced
minced fresh parsley
salt & pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a fry pan. Soften onion and garlic (do not brown). Turn off heat. Add breadcrumbs, mix well, and allow to cool.
- Once cool, add romano cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and additional olive oil (if needed) until most
- Cut off the stems of each artichoke at the base, and with scissors snip off the tips of the leaves.
- Dip cut end in lemon water to prevent from turning brown.
- Gently open the artichoke by spreading its leaves apart.
- With a spoon, remove the inner choke
- Working over the pan, with one artichoke at a time, pack the stuffing between the leaves.
- Transfer the artichokes to a pot or casserole dish. To the pan add 1½ inches of water. Braise, covered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes (or until tender)
- Transfer the chokes to a baking dish and broil (or grill) until golden brown.