As usual, when we travel by air, one of us gets a cold. This time Craig was the lucky one. I decided to make a big pot of soup to try and help his throat. Craig isn't the biggest fan of soup, so I made one which was mostly broth with just a few ingredients and lots of black pepper.
CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE RECIPE
Sipala's No Fuss Beefy Soup
From the Kitchen of Craig & Jennifer Sipala
1lb beef, diced
2 carrots, cut into half moons
2 ribs celery, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 russet potato, diced
1 28oz can whole tomatoes
4 cups beef stock
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
Salt & lots of black pepper
Optional: barley, pasta, cannellini beans, chickpeas
- Dice beef, potato, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Over medium heat, sauté carrots, celery, and onion in olive oil until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Brown beef cubes and then re-add carrots, celery, and onion. Add beef stock and water and bring to a boil.
- Add potato cubes, bay leaf, and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low - cover - simmer 1 hour
- Add additional ingredients and heat through before serving.