Monday, March 12, 2007

Italian Soda Bread

For St Patty's day I planned on making and blogging about Irish Soda Bread, but then I remembered... I don't really like Irish Soda Bread! Sooo, I decided to switch gears and make ITALIAN SODA BREAD! As I'm blogging this, I'm sitting here eating a piece of still warm bread - not bad if I do say so myself!



Click Here for Printable Version

Onion & Fontina Italian Soda Bread

Ingredients:
1½ Cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup whole wheat flour
5oz fontina cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons dehydrated onion pieces
3 Tablespoons cold butter, diced
1 Cup Sour Cream
¼ Cup milk

Topping:
1 egg white, slightly beaten
Coarse sea salt

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and onion in large bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream and milk just until moistened.

Turn dough onto lightly floured bowl; knead until smooth (1 minute?). Divide dough in half; shape each half into 5-inch round loaf. Place onto greased baking sheet. Brush tops of loaves with egg white; sprinkle with sea salt. Cut an X about 1/2-inch through top of each loaf. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMM, MMMM, MM!!!
My mouth is watering!
Seriously, it really looks good. Guess all that cheese is going to good use. But I can't make any bread til the end of the week....Dad has a doctor's appointment and he "will be weighed".

Jenn S. said...

It's a good thing we didn't eat all the fontina when you guys were here!

Matthew said...

Just made some and am dunking steaming chunks into home-made spaghetti sauce... yummmmmmm!

Thanks so much, great recipe, *just* what I was looking for!